Cain Velasquez injured, Fabricio Werdum vs. Mark Hunt interim title fight headlines UFC 180
UFC suffers another sudden change in the Main Event, it seems that their bad luck for this year is continuing. UFC officially announced that the Heavyweight Champion Cain Velasquez, who is also considered to be the UFC’s ambassador in Mexico, has suffered a right knee injury. Therefore, he cannot stand against Febricio Werdum on UFC 180 in his hometown, Mexico City.
Mark Hunt will now replace Cain Velasquez to fight Fabricio Werdum for the interim UFC heavyweight title as the new main event of UFC 180, which takes place Nov. 15 in Mexico City, Mexico.
“I’m so unbelievably disappointed that this happened,” Velasquez said in a statement. “To say I was looking forward to fighting in Mexico for the first time is an understatement. I wanted to fight on that card so bad. Looks like it wasn’t meant to be and it’s not going to happen. I’m going to get my [right] knee fixed and get back to training as soon as I can. I’m sorry to the fans in Mexico who were expecting this fight, and I hope to be able to come down and still be a part of this historic event.”
Other Fight cards of UFC 180:
- Fabricio Werdum vs. Mark Hunt
- Jake Ellenberger vs. Kelvin Gastelum
- Dennis Bermudez vs. Ricardo Lamas
- Joe Lauzon vs. Diego Sanchez
- Jessica Eye vs. Leslie Smith
- Edgar Garcia vs. Hector Urbina
- Chris Heatherly vs. Augusto Montano
- TBA vs. TBA (TUF: Latin America featherweight final)
- TBA vs. TBA (TUF: Latin America bantamweight final)